Warning: Content may make you feel hungry.

- Borscht
- Dhal
- Chocolate Truffles
- Zucchini Slice
- Cantonese Tofu and Vegetable Stir Fry
- Quesadilla
- Boeuf Borguignon
- Pimms Cup
- Swordfish Tagine
- Pad Thai
- Roast Chicken
- Tamagoyaki
- Mapodofu
- Tabouleh
- Spaghetti Meatballs
- Omu-rice
- Rice

18 November 2012

Chocolate Truffles

So, I'm not doing a very good job of being a consistent blogger, eh? So feck it, I'm going to settle for being an occasional blogger. Quality over quantity. Yeh.

Anyway, we've moved up to Pascoe Vale (Melbourne for those of you who aren't in the know), a house with just the two of us, and we've been cooking like demons. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy cooking - from sharehousing (and the associated kitchen carnage) and being in Japan (with the world's tiniest kitchen) - I'm now getting back into the swing of things. 

A couple of things I should mention is that I've gone vegan. Just for the minute. I really needed to shift some weight, and the easiest thing I have found for that is to just go vegan. No willpower required. Anything that isn't made of plants is no longer considered food. You don't need to invent food intolerances or put people's nose out of joint by telling them that you don't want to partake in the shit that they're stuffing in their cakehole. 

"Nah, sorry, I'm vegan."

Discussion over.
I will probably relent and eat whatever's put in front of me at Christmas time (simply because I value my life too much to tell my mother what to do in the kitchen) but I've already found that the veganism is working to shake off that annoying bit of flab - I'm down to 63kg and I reckon I could probably lose another two or three, and be fighting weight for the Thrall recording in January. And I might eat a steak for the occasion for that little bit of extra iron zing come recording day.

Anyway, today's recipe is vegan. Chocolate truffles. Here's the kicker - not all dark chocolate is free of milk solids, so you have to READ the ingredients. Coles cheapo brand is vegan, but it's way too sweet for my taste. Lindt 70% and 85% are vegan, but too expensive. The best option I've found is the Whittaker's Dark, which is tasty and not too pricey.
Ingredients

375g dark chocolate
3/4 cup of coconut CREAM (not milk)
A few drops of vanilla essence
Maple syrup (to taste)
1 cup of desiccated coconut
Extra desiccated coconut for dusting the outside

Method

1. Melt chocolate over a very, very low heat. Use a double boiler if you're that way inclined. 
2. When the chocolate is completely melted, get the coconut cream out of the cupboard. Do not shake! Open the can of coconut cream and take only the solid coconut mass from the top of the can. Add to the chocolate slowly, stirring constantly over the low heat until completely combined.
3. Add vanilla essence and maple syrup to taste. Take it off the heat and transfer it to a bowl. Add the desiccated coconut and stir it through. Place in the fridge overnight.
4. Break up the chocolate mixture with a fork to aerate it. It will look like nice, peaty dirt. 
5. Get a piece of baking paper and sprinkle the nice chocolate dirt looking stuff in a line. Then fold over the baking paper, and roll it into a log. Now it looks like a chocolate poo. Sprinkle the chocolate poo in coconut, and then cut it into two-inch long servings. Dip the ends in coconut. Now it's ready to serve.

*Keeps well in the fridge.
*You can do jaffa flavour if you use orange essence.
*I also made nutty ones with almond meal and almond essence. Just switch out the coconut with the almond meal.
*If you bugger up and make them too sweet, you can add a bit of cocoa to cut the sweetness.





*If you bugger up and make them too wet, you can put in more coconut, almond meal or whatever dry ingredient you're using for the binding to lighten them up. Cocoa can also be used to correct a mixture that is overly wet. Taste often and use your judgement.